Chvatal CK King | Family Law Attorneys
Chvatal CK King | Family Law Attorneys
Speak with one of our attorneys today


Our Focus Is Family Law
Our attorneys have devoted their careers to achieving
excellence in the area of family law.
Our attorneys have devoted their careers to achieving excellence in the area of family law.

Can you get your divorce decree overturned in Washington?

On Behalf of | Jan 19, 2021 | Uncategorized

Because family law is not an exact science, divorce decrees can sometimes unfairly favor one spouse over the other spouse. If the divorce decree occurred several years ago and you feel like you are paying more money in alimony payments than you should be, or that there is any other aspect of the divorce decree that seems unfair, read further to learn more about what you can do in these situations.

What methods can you use to change the divorce decree?

You can have the divorce decree appealed through having the judge’s initial decision overturned, or you can have modifications made to the decree based on a change in circumstance or other new information. Regardless of what method you choose, you will need to have strong evidence to support changing the initial divorce decree.

File a motion

You can have your divorce decree modified with the help of a family law attorney as long as you have new evidence to support your position. When filing a motion for a change to the divorce decree, you have the opportunity to explain to the judge how your circumstances have changed.

Changes to your situation include changes in your living situation or if you have recently filed for unemployment. Also, if your spouse has recently been convicted of a crime, this could be grounds for the modification of the divorce decree.

Appealing is more difficult

Appealing an original settlement that was initially agreed on between you and your spouse over the course of the first divorce proceedings is nearly impossible to change without the help of an appellate attorney. A legal professional may help you through the process and ensure that any new agreement is as thorough as possible.